Robert R. Marshak, DVM, Dean of the Vet School, 1973-1987
Dean Marshak joined the faculty of Penn Vet in 1956 as professor and chair of medicine, later becoming chair of clinical studies. As Dean from 1973 - 1987, his energy and vision were the catalysts for building the new small animal hospital in Philadelphia, expansion of New Bolton Center, introduction of aquatic veterinary medicine and development of veterinary specialties parallel to and in cooperation with those in human medicine. As a cow doctor he returned to teaching in dairy farming at the completion of his deanship. Both the school itself and the field of veterinary medicine have benefited from his personal and professional contributions.